Property Management Companies In Johannesburg – Are They the Answer to Your House Managing Problems?
Property management companies means exactly what it is; control, or management of a certain property on behalf of an owner. This industry has expanded in the last years bringing about the need of more project managers. If you are looking into working as a property manager, there are certain skills and attributes that you should take into consideration. Remember that as someone who manages properties, you will be given the sole responsibility of entrustment that is why if you are serious in joining this industry; you should have the following traits.
1. Knowledgeable with the governing laws. A good manager is one who understands and is knowledgeable about the many laws and ordinances of a specific area. This is important so as to avoid any conflict with regards to the management of real estate and other properties. Certain laws may vary from cities, which is why understanding them and knowing how they work will best work to your advantage. It is always good to be in the know.
5. Willing to grow. You should not only limit yourself to a particular field. Bear in mind that the industry of property management will only grow in the next couple of years due to the fact that more and more people are expanding their properties. As a good property manager, you should be able to ride the tide of property management and consider your professional growth. This will not only be beneficial in terms of your career but will also reflect on the kind of service you deliver.
When considering working in the property management, it is always best to review your skills and qualifications in order for you to assess your personal capabilities. Bear in mind the above characteristics, in order to be a great property managing company.
How to Start a Property Management Business
The Property Management Contract - Taking it Apart
The manager will be taking on significant responsibilities with the owner's real estate. It is important to look at the contract and at a minimum it must
1. Name all parties to the contract
2. The legal property address
3. Define the responsibilities of the manager and the owner
4. Enumerate all fees and commissions for leasing or real estate sales.
5. Define the term of the contract
6. Both parties must sign and date the contract
What is Agency?
"It may be referred to as the relationship between a principal and an agent whereby the principal, expressly or impliedly, authorizes the agent to work under his control and on his behalf. The agent is, thus, required to negotiate on behalf of the principal or bring him and third parties into contractual relationship."
Basically you are signing off and binding the manager to act in your behalf and in your best interest regarding the management of the property.
1. You should require a current license and go to search your state dept. of Real Estate to see if it is current and that there have not been any complaints or suspensions or revocations of the real estate license.
2. You should also check with your local Better Business Bureau and ask for referrals. 3. Finally, ask to see the general liability insurance policy and if the principals have errors and omissions insurance.
2. Tenant Screening: What are the tenant screening criteria. he company should be able to clearly offer you a set of rules. This should never be an off hand "we pick em if we like em" approach. Thats a law suit waiting to happen. We will write on fair housing, the federal government's body of law governing housing and discrimination. meanwhile there are a series of articles at our website you can read if you need to know.
All management companies should have accounts online and always available. The bigger companies will have an accountant in the company. Thats a plus.
The company responsibilities are:
1. Track income and expenses to determine profitability
2. Rents and other fees from the property shall be deposited into a special bank account or trust as required by law and cannot become mingled with the company funds.
Issue monthly income statements
3. Negotiate rental agreements
4. Respond to tenant requests and deal with problem tenants
5. The Agent should collect the rents and other income from the property promptly
6. From the rents received the Agent should pay all operating expenses and such other expenses as requested by the Owner. This may include the payment of mortgages or taxes.
Howard Bell for yourpropertypath.com
Property Management Fees: A Necessary Investment To Cater Problems
I can not tell you how many times in the beginning of my property management career a prospective tenant called and caught me unprepared. I quickly learned I saved 5 to 10 hours a week and rented more houses by being well prepared. Here are my best tips.
1) Application Forms
A property manager should carry at least 50 blank rental applications with him at all times. Quite often, you will find yourself listing a new rental house and have no applications to place in the kitchen. You want to have applications in the house so you are not always running to your car during a showing.
The property management company should also have the rental application saved on the computer in a format that can be emailed to your clients quickly. You do not want to limit yourself to just faxing or having them pick up the form from you. This is very quick and painless.
6) Pens and Business Cards
It is embarrassing to not have either one on a listing or leasing appointment. Professionalism is found in the details.
7) Organizer to Carry Everything
You can buy an organizer at Office Depot or Staples that can store all the items listed above. Some people prefer a briefcase but I personally use a black plastic box with hanging folders. Use whatever suits you but just have it all in one place in your car
Note: A prepared property manager will create an automatic task in Outlook or a Day Planner to refill all the items once a month. Getting organized is useless for your property management company, if you do not have a follow-up system to ensure you stay organized.