How Do You Select One of the Best Property management Companies in South Africa ?
When you hire a property management company to serve as the liaison between yourself and your tenants, you want to be sure you’re getting the best possible property management services for the money. The services in South Africa provides can range from ala carte to an all-in-one inclusive package. Along with that comes an array of fees for each. There is no set in stone fee structure we can provide you. But we can educate you on what common fees to expect and what each is commonly for. In the end it will be up to you to compare company fee structures and choose the best one that fits within your budget. Below are some of the most common fees and what service they provide.
This is an ongoing monthly fee charged to the owner to South Africa and the responsibilities of overseeing the management of their property. This fee can vary from as little as 3% to over 15% of the monthly gross rent. In place of a percentage some managers may charge a flat monthly amount which again can vary from $50 to over $200 per month. All property management companies generally charge this fee.
Lease-Up or Setup Fee
This fee is charged to the owner to compensate the property manager for their initial time invested and resources used in setting up an owners account; showing property and/or other activities resulting in tenant placement. I guess you could look at it as a “finders fee” for placing a tenant in your property. Once a tenant has been placed and first rent income comes in, the property manager will deduct this fee from the rent proceeds. Property management companies have been known to require this fee upfront prior to tenant procurement. Usually this fee is non-refundable once the property manager has started the process of tenant procurement or any legwork has been initiated with the property. This fee can vary from none to as much as the first months rent, and usually is a one-time fee per tenant.
Interesting Facts About Property Managing Agencies in South Africa :
The Property Management Contract - Taking it Apart
The manager will be taking on significant responsibilities with the owner's real estate. It is important to look at the contract and at a minimum it must
1. Name all parties to the contract
2. The legal property address
3. Define the responsibilities of the manager and the owner
4. Enumerate all fees and commissions for leasing or real estate sales.
5. Define the term of the contract
6. Both parties must sign and date the contract
What is Agency?
"It may be referred to as the relationship between a principal and an agent whereby the principal, expressly or impliedly, authorizes the agent to work under his control and on his behalf. The agent is, thus, required to negotiate on behalf of the principal or bring him and third parties into contractual relationship."
Basically you are signing off and binding the manager to act in your behalf and in your best interest regarding the management of the property.
1. You should require a current license and go to search your state dept. of Real Estate to see if it is current and that there have not been any complaints or suspensions or revocations of the real estate license.
2. You should also check with your local Better Business Bureau and ask for referrals. 3. Finally, ask to see the general liability insurance policy and if the principals have errors and omissions insurance.
2. Tenant Screening: What are the tenant screening criteria. he company should be able to clearly offer you a set of rules. This should never be an off hand "we pick em if we like em" approach. Thats a law suit waiting to happen. We will write on fair housing, the federal government's body of law governing housing and discrimination. meanwhile there are a series of articles at our website you can read if you need to know.
All management companies should have accounts online and always available. The bigger companies will have an accountant in the company. Thats a plus.
The company responsibilities are:
1. Track income and expenses to determine profitability
2. Rents and other fees from the property shall be deposited into a special bank account or trust as required by law and cannot become mingled with the company funds.
Issue monthly income statements
3. Negotiate rental agreements
4. Respond to tenant requests and deal with problem tenants
5. The Agent should collect the rents and other income from the property promptly
6. From the rents received the Agent should pay all operating expenses and such other expenses as requested by the Owner. This may include the payment of mortgages or taxes.
Howard Bell for yourpropertypath.com
What is a Property Manager?
As a property manager, there are many positives and negatives with this job. As with any job you make it what you want. There are days that are longer and more difficult then others.There are many regulations you need to know and must be a relator. If you want to start this business you need to know exactly what it entails.You will need to be licensed by the sales tax agency if they charge sales tax on the monthly rent. You need to have one for each town you are doing business in. It is extremely helpful that you are well versed in repairing things or have a good list of contractors available for repairs. Your life will be so much easier if you can determine what repair needs your immediate attention, what can wait until the next business day. You need to be a people person, since you do meet people from all walks of life.
8. Tracking expenditures for repairs. Getting authorization from the owner as needed.
9. Establishing advertisements daily, with at least seven free website for any vacancies.
10. Show available properties, screen potential tenants, while maintaining the laws against discrimination.
The job can be a 24/7 day business. You set the hours. It is hard to predict when a client may need a repair. Keep in mind that the owner has the right to cancel the property management agreement. This has not happened to me I still have the same customers for the last seven years and continue to grow.
Why you ask, I believe it is that I handle this like a business while maintaining contact with the owners on an as needed basis.
Who the Real Property Manager Is
Property management can be a tough job to run by yourself. Ideally, we would like for a building and/or tenants to be able to operate and live as smoothly as possible without having any problems to deal with. However, this is never the case, as there is always something that needs taking care of around a property. If you are in need of a property manager, then read on.
When searching for someone to hire to take care of maintenance and assistance for a space you own, you want the overall experience to be as beneficial as possible. As far as considering whom to hand this job to, do not choose your cheapest option. This decision should eliminate a lot of work and stress from your life and create a job for someone else. So, make the best choice based on character and work experience an individual or company has.
In order to avoid rent being pocketed by your managing company, request that a monthly roster be made all tenants with current contact information. Some companies may say an apartment is vacant when a resident still lives there and keep the rent money.
These are a few tips and precautions that can be taken to find quality property management and maintain a good business relationship. A lot of work is necessary for keeping an area of real estate operating optimally, so take this into consideration before assigning anyone the job. Trust is a key issue when handing over the care-taking duties to another party, but you should still take measures to assure that your premises is running legitimately.
- Property Managing Agents Near Me South Africa
- Management Property Company Near Me Gauteng
- Property Management Companies For Apartments Near Me JHB
- Sectional Title Management Companies Near Me List Of
- Management Property Company Near Me Top Of
- Property Management Companies Near Me Cheap
- Properties Management Companies Near Me Full Service Of
- Property Management Companies Reviews Near Me Best
- Sectional Title Managing Agents Near Me Find Iff
- Sectional Title Management Agents Near Me Cost of
- Property Manager Companies Near Me Price of
- Property Management Agents Near Me Nearest
- Property Managers Near Me