Property Management Companies In Johannesburg – Are They the Answer to Your House Managing Problems?
Property management companies means exactly what it is; control, or management of a certain property on behalf of an owner. This industry has expanded in the last years bringing about the need of more project managers. If you are looking into working as a property manager, there are certain skills and attributes that you should take into consideration. Remember that as someone who manages properties, you will be given the sole responsibility of entrustment that is why if you are serious in joining this industry; you should have the following traits.
1. Knowledgeable with the governing laws. A good manager is one who understands and is knowledgeable about the many laws and ordinances of a specific area. This is important so as to avoid any conflict with regards to the management of real estate and other properties. Certain laws may vary from cities, which is why understanding them and knowing how they work will best work to your advantage. It is always good to be in the know.
5. Willing to grow. You should not only limit yourself to a particular field. Bear in mind that the industry of property management will only grow in the next couple of years due to the fact that more and more people are expanding their properties. As a good property manager, you should be able to ride the tide of property management and consider your professional growth. This will not only be beneficial in terms of your career but will also reflect on the kind of service you deliver.
When considering working in the property management, it is always best to review your skills and qualifications in order for you to assess your personal capabilities. Bear in mind the above characteristics, in order to be a great property managing company.
What is a Property Manager?
I can not tell you how many times in the beginning of my property management career a prospective tenant called and caught me unprepared. I quickly learned I saved 5 to 10 hours a week and rented more houses by being well prepared. Here are my best tips.
1) Application Forms
A property manager should carry at least 50 blank rental applications with him at all times. Quite often, you will find yourself listing a new rental house and have no applications to place in the kitchen. You want to have applications in the house so you are not always running to your car during a showing.
The property management company should also have the rental application saved on the computer in a format that can be emailed to your clients quickly. You do not want to limit yourself to just faxing or having them pick up the form from you. This is very quick and painless.
6) Pens and Business Cards
It is embarrassing to not have either one on a listing or leasing appointment. Professionalism is found in the details.
7) Organizer to Carry Everything
You can buy an organizer at Office Depot or Staples that can store all the items listed above. Some people prefer a briefcase but I personally use a black plastic box with hanging folders. Use whatever suits you but just have it all in one place in your car
Note: A prepared property manager will create an automatic task in Outlook or a Day Planner to refill all the items once a month. Getting organized is useless for your property management company, if you do not have a follow-up system to ensure you stay organized.
Property Management Advice - 7 Ways to Organize You Must Know to Rent Your Places Faster
As a property manager, there are many positives and negatives with this job. As with any job you make it what you want. There are days that are longer and more difficult then others.There are many regulations you need to know and must be a relator. If you want to start this business you need to know exactly what it entails.You will need to be licensed by the sales tax agency if they charge sales tax on the monthly rent. You need to have one for each town you are doing business in. It is extremely helpful that you are well versed in repairing things or have a good list of contractors available for repairs. Your life will be so much easier if you can determine what repair needs your immediate attention, what can wait until the next business day. You need to be a people person, since you do meet people from all walks of life.
8. Tracking expenditures for repairs. Getting authorization from the owner as needed.
9. Establishing advertisements daily, with at least seven free website for any vacancies.
10. Show available properties, screen potential tenants, while maintaining the laws against discrimination.
The job can be a 24/7 day business. You set the hours. It is hard to predict when a client may need a repair. Keep in mind that the owner has the right to cancel the property management agreement. This has not happened to me I still have the same customers for the last seven years and continue to grow.
Why you ask, I believe it is that I handle this like a business while maintaining contact with the owners on an as needed basis.